News

Council awarded £3m from City Hall to help tackle rough sleeping

The cash allows the council to acquire ten new homes for residents who have experienced rough sleeping, reports Grace Howarth, Local Democracy Reporter

Rough sleeping is on the rise in London and Haringey
Rough sleeping in Seven Sisters

Haringey Council has secured £3million in grant funding from the Mayor of London to tackle homelessness.

The cash allows the council to acquire ten new homes for residents who have experienced rough sleeping, as well as provide accompanying support services. 

The first grant is for £2m and is to be spent acquiring the homes over 2024/25. It was supplied by the mayor’s Single Homelessness Accommodation Programme. The second part of the grant is for £1m and will provide three years of funding to support 20 users of House First, a service that provides access to permanent housing as well as help tackling non-housing needs. 

The news was reported at a cabinet meeting this week (Tuesday 6th) at George Meehan House in Wood Green.

Haringey is one of few councils to have secured funding, according to the report read at the meeting, and councillors were pleased the mayor had recognised the severity of the borough’s situation.

Opposition councillor Scott Emery said he supported the new housing for rough sleepers but asked where they would be sited as previously residents had objected to schemes “like this being built near them”.

Sarah Williams, cabinet member for housing services, private rents and planning, said the homes purchased would not be in “one place” but would be spread out. 

She said: “Usually the properties we purchase are ex-council homes that have been bought under right to buy schemes so we don’t envisage any problems with that.”