Haringey Community Press

Haringey Community Press

Match report: Chelsea 2 Tottenham Hotspur 0

Chelsea easily defeat Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge

Hero for Match report: Chelsea 2 Tottenham Hotspur 0
Stamford Bridge (credit Vespa125125CFC/Wikimedia Commons)
By Haran Naresh 05 January 2022

Tottenham Hotspur’s chances of reaching the Carabao Cup final hang by a thread after they were easily beaten by Chelsea in the first leg of their semi-final.

Chelsea took an early lead through Kai Havertz before getting a second following an own goal by Ben Davies.

The hosts took the lead in the fourth minute. Marcos Alonso intercepted the ball high up the pitch and played in Kai Havertz and his shot went in off Davinson Sanchez.

Chelsea dominated the visitors in the opening period. Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg’s clearance hit Oliver Skipp and the ball fell to Kai Havertz whose shot was saved by Hugo Lloris.

Mason Mount had an attempt from just outside the box which was blocked by Japhet Tanganga and went behind.

With 18 minutes on the clock Hakim Ziyech cut inside and curled an effort off target.

At this stage the home team had complete control and were neutralising Tottenham.

In the 32nd minute Antonio Rudiger broke away from his marker at a corner and hit a shot that was deflected behind.

Chelsea doubled their lead in the 34th minute. Ziyech sent in a free-kick which Tanganga headed against team-mate Ben Davies, with the ball bouncing off the back of his head and going into the net.

Spurs had their first chance of the game when Emerson Royal delivered a cross which Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga initially spilled against Lucas Moura before collecting at the second attempt.

With 40 minutes gone Ziyech floated the ball towards Romelu Lukaku who headed narrowly wide.

At half-time Antonio Conte brought on Tanguy Ndombele for Matt Doherty and switched to a back four.

This change seemed to make Spurs a better side and in the 50th minute Harry Kane drilled a free-kick which Arrizabalaga pushed away.

Lukaku passed to Ziyech who was in space but his effort was tame and was easily collected by Lloris.

With 54 minutes on the clock Moura picked out Ndombele on the edge of the area and he blazed well over.

Substitute Timo Werner cut infield before firing narrowly off target.

In the 66th minute Ziyech found Werner with an exquisite long pass and the forward attempted to chip Lloris but the goalkeeper stuck out a hand and made a save.

Royal picked out Moura in the box and his volley flew well over.

The away team were keeping possession better than they did in the first half but were still struggling to create opportunities.

With 77 minutes gone Ziyech spurned a good chance when he was picked out at the far post but he failed to test Lloris with his effort.

Substitute Giovani Lo Celso delivered a free-kick which Tanganga headed off target.

Bryan Gil easily beat Christian Pulisic on the left flank and found Lo Celso whose shot was parried clear by Arrizabalaga.

In stoppage time Lukaku shot straight at Lloris from close range.

Tottenham delivered a meek, passive performance where they gave away two goals which could have easily been prevented.

They now face a very difficult task in trying to overturn the deficit in the second leg, which takes place at The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium next Wednesday.

Before then, Spurs host League One outfit Morecambe in the FA Cup third round on Sunday.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte speaking in his post-match press conference: “This type of game can show us the difference. The gap between us and a top club like Chelsea. I think we struggled a lot against Chelsea.”

“They showed to be stronger, much stronger than us. For sure you have to be disappointed but also understand that there is an important difference. We need to have patience, there is a lot of a job to do, in many aspects.”